If you have ever tried mixing your own solutions for house cleaning, you've discovered how useful essential oils are. There is a wide range of options and ideas. There is no right or wrong - it comes down to what scent you like best. To help you get started, we've picked the top 5 essential oils for house cleaning. Feel free to mix these scents to create blends that appeal to you. Here's the list, with some explanations and suggestions.
1. Peppermint - Spritzing this antibacterial oil in your bathroom and kitchen will not only disinfect the surfaces, it will make the whole house smell and feel fresh. Always use rubbing alcohol or vodka when preparing an essential oil spray, to help the oil mix with the base of water or vinegar. An easy recipe is 15 drops of peppermint essential oil into 1 cup of distilled water, and 3 teaspoons of rubbing alcohol. This is an easy fix to wipe down sinks and counters before company comes over.
2. Lemon - Most of us associate a fresh lemon scent with a clean house, since so many commercial products are perfumed with lemon. Do it naturally with lemon essential oil. Drop 10-15 drops into a cup of baking soda and place in the fridge to deodorize.
3. Tea Tree - Such an all purpose oil, there are always new ways to use it! It kills germs and bacteria. We recommend you mix 20 drops of tea tree oil with 2 cups white vinegar and 2 teaspoons of plain dish soap into a spray bottle. Spritz the tile or shower doors lightly after every shower to cut down on mold and mildew.
4. Lavender - A wonderful soothing scent, and an antibacterial. Lavender mixes well with vinegar for a powerful cleaner. Our favourite is to mix 20 drops of lavender essential oil with 2 cups distilled water and 2 teaspoons of rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle. This linen spray can be used when ironing (if you still iron!), and to freshen clothes when they come out of storage, or pulled out of the back of the closet.
5. Rosemary - This oil is known for improving your focus, so it's sure to give your home a real boost! Rosemary essential oil is so healthy for your hair, your skin, and your house. For house cleaning, we recommend cleaning floors with rosemary. If using a wring mop, fill a bucket with hot water, add 1/4 cup of white vinegar, a few drop of a gentle castile soap, and 10 drops of rosemary essential oil. Be sure to wring the mop well - you want to wipe the floors, not soak them. The vinegar and rosemary will disinfect the floor, and the whole room will feel fresh and energized.